Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Thankful in ALL Circumstances


"Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you who belong to Christ Jesus." 1 Thessalonians 5:18

It is fairly easy to be thankful when things are going "well" and things are easy, but we are to be thankful in ALL circumstances.

We are extremely blessed in so many ways, but at times, we do come under attack which has been the case in the last few weeks.  We had a fox kill several of our laying chickens, our turkey, and 9 of our young hens; plus, one of our bee hives died. Next, the transmission went out in our 15 passenger van (which was over $2,000 to fix). After that, there was issues with the well pump that we had to pay someone to come fix. Then, as we are seeing the numbers going in the opposite direction that we want as we fundraise for our adoption, my adoption agency contacts me to let me know that there are some additional travel expenses that I hadn't take into consideration when I wrote my blog entry about how much money we still needed. I'll admit it, when I hung up the phone, I cried. Sometimes life can make us feel overwhelmed. But, thankfully, my cry didn't last long because I can find comfort in my Lord and Savior. He is there for me when it feels like no one else is.

Whenever something bad happens there is this temptation to try to understand "why" it happened, but the reality is we will never fully comprehend all the reasons that God allows things to happen and how He uses them for His glory. Still, that question creeps in of "Why God?" But, it has been my prayer for some time that I would stop questioning why. After all, who am I to ask God why? He doesn't owe me any answers. It makes me think of Job 38:2-12 where God asks Job "Who are you to question my wisdom with your ignorant, empty words? Now stand up straight and answer the questions I ask you. Were you there when I made the world?..."(for the rest of this chapter in Job..click here )

God has a plan, and I choose to trust in it. I have learned through my life that often the "struggles" and the "hard times" bring about tremendous spiritual growth, and I learn lessons that draw me even closer to Him; so I say, "Thank you"

"Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing." James 1:2-4

Lord, we thank you. We thank you for the trials and tribulations that we endure in this life because we trust in You. We know you are sovereign Lord; we trust in your plan, and we know that all things work together for the good of those who love the Lord (Romans 8:28).

I am reminded of a song we sing at church (by Matt Redman):


"...Blessed be Your name
When the sun's shining down on me
When the world's all as it should be
Blessed be Your name

Blessed be Your name
On the road marked with suffering
Though theres pain in the offering
Blessed be Your name..."

When things are all wonderful, we bless Your name, oh Lord, and when things are difficult, we bless Your name, Lord, because You are ALWAYS worthy of praise! 

No comments:

Post a Comment