Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Leaping Out in Faith

"Father to the fatherless, defender of widows — this is God, whose dwelling is holy. God places the lonely in families."(Psalms 68:5-6)

When Dustin and I first started this adoption process, we kept things somewhat open. The only thing we knew for sure was that God was calling us to adopt again, and we knew we wanted to adopt from Ethiopia.

We filled out our USCIS paperwork and our home study to be approved for 1 or 2 children to keep our options open. As the process progressed, we prayed, and we knew that we were being lead to our daughter F.

We have already submitted out dossier to Ethiopia. However, I couldn't ignore this feeling that we still had another child out there. At first, Dustin thought I was nuts, and I think many other people thought and are thinking the same thing.

Dustin and I knew that this would be the last time that we would be able to adopt. We do not even know where the money is going to come for F's adoption. We have already refinanced our house, traded our car in for another older vehicle, emptied Dustin's 401k savings, taken out a personal loan to cover Mariya's adoption expenses, and exhausted all funds. We have no idea how we will come up with the rest of the money for F's adoption, and yet I am considering adding another adoption?

Before I even brought it up, I asked our agency if it was too late (since our Dossier had already been sent to Ethiopia). The director informed me that we caught our paperwork in time. She informed us that she would hold the file, and we could add another child before our file was submitted to the court if we chose to do so).

There was a great deal of prayer that followed. I prayed that God would reveal to Dustin the decision that God wanted him to make. That God would make it clear in Dustin's heart what the Lord wanted for our family. I also prayed that if the path was not for us to adopt a 2nd child with this adoption, that I could have a peace and closure in that decision.

It was a long time of discussion between Dustin and I to come to a decision. While I was idealistic, Dustin was realistic and pointed out the finacial hardship of an additional adoption.

Finally, I reluctantly agreed that he was probably right, we couldn't afford to add a 2nd child to this adoption. I had promised myself that I would leave it up to God to place it in Dustin's heart, and that I would be accepting of God's will even if it wasn't what I envisioned. So, Dustin called our adoption agency to let them know that we were going to be accepting the referral of only F, and to go ahead and file our paperwork with the Ethiopian Court.

However, God intervened.

The director of the adoption agency was in the hospital when Dustin called, and she hadn't gotten our message. So, although we had thought the decision was done, and we had let it rest from consuming our thoughts (or tried to), we received a phone call the next day.

The voicemail was from the adoption agency's director asking us to contact her to speak with her urgently about whether or not we were adding a 2nd child. So, I left it for Dustin to call her to explain.

That night, Dustin returned from work. We had dinner together as a family, and put the girls in bed without anything unusual.

Then, Dustin sat us down for our nightly prayers and began to pray. In his prayer, he asked God to watch over us as we prepared our hearts and our home for the 2 children we would be bringing home to our family from Ethiopia.

I must admit, I lost my bearing, and I immediatly looked up in shock. But, Dustin and the boys kept their heads bowed as he continued our nightly family prayer.

I closed my eyes and tried to concentrate on the rest of his prayer as I held back tears of joy and excitement; there were butterflies fluttering in my stomach as I wondered if I was dreaming.

Dustin closed us in prayer: "Lord, we ask that you are with [F] and [M]; please, watch over them and protect them. Be with them and comfort them as they wait for us to bring them home, in Christ's name, Amen."

Yes, you read it right...I heard it right...we will be bringing home 2 children when we travel to Ethiopia. F is an 11 year old girl, and M is a 5 year old boy. Alleluhia! We are so blessed!

We have no idea where the money will come from to cover all the adoption expenses, but a good friend of mine reminded me:

"If God calls you to it, then He will see you through it."

We know that God will fund what he favors;"For with God nothing is impossible" (Luke 1:37)

1 comment:

  1. The mustard seeds move the moutains! Let the fundraising begin! We would be happy to help!
    I am sooooooo excited for you guys!